Wondering how to be happy despite current circumstances is probably one of the big life questions we all share.
Ups and downs are part of everyone’s journey, but how do we remain sane and content when the lows feel like quicksand?
We can’t control what life throws at us, but it is always up to us how we react to what is happening.
Sure, some of our personality traits are deeply conditioned and therefore not easy to change, but as many things, awesomeness doesn’t always come easy.
The real question is if you want to stay in victim mode blaming life and complaining about how unfair things are?
Or do you want to put in the effort and time to change your life for the better?
If you resonate with the latter you’ve come to the perfect place to find out how to improve your life quality with easy habit ideas.
Habits for a healthy mind
Habit 1: Practice gratitude daily
Do you have an attitude of gratitude?
Or do you sometimes feel like everything goes wrong in your life and there’s not much you can do about it?
Say no more!
Expressing gratitude in form of a gratitude diary is one of the best habits of mind you can establish.
Even in the most difficult times there is always something to feel grateful for.
Don’t feel like this is true? Let me suggest a couple of things & I’m sure one of them will resonate with you!
This could be your daily gratitude list:
Today I’m grateful for:
- a loved one (friends, family member, partner, pet)
- your favourite song
- the weather
- having a roof over your head
- food & water to nourish your body
- your favourite part of nature
- a compliment you once got
- something you find comfort in
- your favourite book
- something you love about your body
- being able to help someone
- one good thing that happened today
- delicious coffee, tea or juice you had
- a smile from a stranger
- your favourite movie / TV show
- moving your body in any way
- getting some fresh air
- an accomplishment you made, no matter how small
- an event in the future
- a memory from the past
- you breathing and being alive!
Whatever blessing comes to your mind, stop for a moment, feel the gratitude in your heart & note it down.
As you can tell from these gratitude examples, you can be thankful and grateful for anything that comes to your mind.
Start with some words of gratitude today, it will train your mind to focus on the good things happening in your life!
Habit 2: Meditation
Do you think meditation is boring or you just cannot sit still? I’ve got you covered!
Meditation and mindfulness are keystone habits of morning routines of successful people.
This habit of mind is meant to calm you and create awareness; not to stress you through expectations you have about the style or the outcome of meditation.
The power of meditation creates several benefits:
- lower blood pressure
- rising awareness & being more present
- improving sleep
- easing pain & negative emotions
- grow patience & tolerance
- reducing feelings of anxiety
- build new perspectives
- decreasing stress
- enhanced focus & concentration
There are different ways to meditate and it doesn’t require you to sit in silence, if that’s just not your thing!
Below I’ve listed different ways to meditate:
mindful movement meditation
- walking in nature
- any kind of sport where you’ll forget about your thoughts for a second, could also be e.g. surfing, running, skating, etc.
- candle meditation
- staring at the horizon until your eyes don’t focus on anything in particular
- counting mala beads
- breathing meditation
- singing and repeating mantras
- let the hot / cold water wash away all the negativity & stress from your body
- you can enhance the relief by swiping down your body head to toe with as much / little pressure you like
- silent meditation where you just observe your thoughts without judging them
- guided meditation through
- another person
- an app like Calm, Headspace or Mindvalley
- free guided meditations on YouTube, Spotify or SoundCloud
Did you find a meditation exercise you’d like to try? Awesome!
So… when’s a good time to meditate?
Well, whenever you feel like it!
- in bed after waking up
- after your morning routine
- in work or class breaks
- on public transport
- before you’re making an important decision
- whenever you feel anger, hatred, nervousness, anxiety
- before a call, meeting or performance that makes you nervous
- after coming home from work / school
- before going to bed
Start by setting small time goals like 5 or even 1 minute.
Don’t expect to be focused for 30 mins straight away, short meditations are great to begin with!
Habit 3: Spend quality time with a loved one
We humans are social beings and being connected to others is crucial to our mental health and overall wellbeing.
Due to the current situation it might be harder than before, but also more important than ever, that we bond with our loved ones.
Benefits of quality time can be:
- boosted self-confidence
- improved mental health
- reducing stress
- stronger resilience
- higher adaptability
- less social anxiety
- increased happiness
It doesn’t matter if you’re hanging out with your partner, friends, family members or even your pets (who definitely also count as loved ones!).
What’s important is that we spend quality time with them.
Quality time includes:
- giving others your undivided attention to strengthen your relationship
- having a conversation in person or via video / phone call
- listening to each others fears, dreams, worries, desires
- physical contact like hugs, kisses, cuddles, etc.
- cooking together
- playing games together
- going for a walk together
- planning a trip together
I guess you already realized that happiness isn’t something to be found, but it is part of your creation.
Life also isn’t about being hyped & happy 24/7, but making the best of every moment and out of every situation.
There might be phases in your life you will classify as lows, downfalls, setbacks, etc. but these ‘hard times’ are accelerating your growth in unimaginable ways. You will probably only realize when they are over.
These happy habits will help you appreciate life and boost your happiness no matter what phase you’re in.
Once you’ve created a lifestyle that includes these tools your life and mindset will shift and support you on your journey.
You deserve to be your best and happiest version!